Let's Spam About Gary Cooper - The TCMR Edition

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

It sound like you thought highly of "Dark Lover" the biography of Valentino (judging by your posts in the "what are you reading thread") so I might just get it. He was too gorgeous.

As for Coop & Myrna, Myrna recounts in her Being and Becoming that they actually met in Montana as kids (her father or grandfather was a judge or a politician of some sort, and knew Coop's Dad), but never really crossed paths professionally in Hollywood, and that she regretted never working with him.

Miss G
feaito

Post by feaito »

MissGoddess wrote:
feaito wrote:Welcome Pktrekgirl....In general I feel that "natural" players like Gary, Gable, Loy, Cary Grant et al, are the best cinematographic actors. :idea:
Ciao, feaito,

I just watched Myrna again for the thousandth time in one of my favorites, 1933's When Ladies Meet. It's a challenging role for her because some of the dialogue is in the most histrionic and over-the-top melodramatic style. However this charming, understated actress manages to breathe reality into it. In fact, the entire cast is and raises this movie far above its material. Myrna is one of my all time favorites, and seeing her with my other favorite "crush", Robert Montgomery, is always a thrill. I hope you have had a chance to see it.

A great regret I have is that Myrna and her fellow Montanan of this thread never did a film together.

Miss G
I have it on tape since eons ago and yet have not see it!! Shame on me.
metsfan

Post by metsfan »

Anyone know what movie this is from?

feaito

Post by feaito »

Almost 100% sure it's Gary and Fay Wray in the 1928 Silent "The First Kiss".
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

Well, in case it isn't abundantly obvious by looking at the TCM lineup, today is Gary Cooper's birthday. His 106th birthday, to be precise.

I'll probably post some art in the art forum later in the day. But I wanted to say -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! 8)

I'll also be watching a Gary Cooper film tonight - most likely ALONG CAME JONES, which is one I've only seen once...as opposed to the rest of the films being shown today, which I've seen many times.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I'm in heaven today---I have commandeered the TV in our breakroom and it is staying on TCM all day!!! :wink:

Here are some cute YouTube tributes that were posted at TCM:

Enjoy everyone!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Everyone get out their little red pencil and circle August 21st---TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" is giving Gary his day!!!
MissGoddess

Ten North Frederick

Post by MissGoddess »

Here is a clip from Ten North Frederick:

I consider this to be Gary Cooper's great, "undiscovered" performance of his career. The movie direction is a bit tepid, which is no fault of Coop's, and Suzy Parker is one of the world's worst actresses (yet in her scenes with Coop she almost approaches genuine competence and is at least dignified and receptive), again no fault of Coop's, which may explain why the "ho hum" reaction in general. If I could make it a mini-mission to convert people about this movie I would, that's how good he is and how important I think the message of the film is.

It's based on a John O'Hara novel, and like many of his works, he tackles the preoccupations of the various "classes" in American society---making it clear that there were (still are) social classes and what the cost of belonging to each (or none) could be.

It is not a soap opera about infedility which many concluded, though the Cooper/Parker entanglement is a moral crossroads for his character. The movie is really about what caving into ambition and mateiral success costs the individual and each member of the family.

OK, off my soapbox! :P

So watch it everybody and if you like it, request TCM to air it and bring it to dvd!!

p.s. I wanted to edit this post to mention this movie was perhaps more highly regarded in Europe at its release: it won the 1958 Locarno Film Festival Golden Sail award for Best Film.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

First off, let me say I'm a so-so Coop fan. I like him, but he never turned me on as he apparently does Misses Goddess and pktrekgirl. The only movie he did turn me on was The Unconquered - for some reason I though he looked really good in that one, and also later in The Fountainhead - something shown through in the scenes between him and Neal, it wasn't until years later that I found out what that something was.

Now don't shoot me when I say I did not like Ball of Fire at all - not just Coop, but the whole movie to me was dumb (I didn't like the remake either). I still contend he was too old for High Noon, he did well, but. . . Grace Kelly was totally out of her realm in that one too.

I can't get the mix-up of Coop and Cary Grant. I did mix him up when I was lots younger with Randolph Scott (cue chorus), because of the long, lean, blondish looks.

But I understand why you ladies like him so much. Anyone who goes ga-ga over a guy who looks like Robert Mitchum has to have some empathy for other peoples' idols.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
klondike

Post by klondike »

Beyond my general acceptance of Coop as being one of the "Golden Age Four", he earns a unique rank of admiration from me, for one unwavering reason:

He is the protagonist in "The Fountainhead", my all-time favorite movie!

Klondike
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

MissGoddess wrote:Everyone get out their little red pencil and circle August 21st---TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" is giving Gary his day!!!
What are the films being shown?

I saw that he had a day, but I'm curious about the films. If we are gonna get some rare ones it will be fun.

By the way, I got the boxed set in the mail today, but still have not received the four free standing films that came out on May 22 besides UNCONQUERED.

I've seen them all...but I still would like them in my grubby paws.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hi Anne---may I say I also think Robert Mitchum was one delicious looking individual? :wink:
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

pktrekgirl wrote:
MissGoddess wrote:Everyone get out their little red pencil and circle August 21st---TCM's "Summer Under the Stars" is giving Gary his day!!!
What are the films being shown?
Here you go---the only "rarity" is THEY CAME TO CODURA, which is one of his most underrated and least shown---everyone should see it/record it (I'm glad they put it in a prime-time slot):

21 Tuesday
3:00 AM Gary Cooper: American Life, American Legend (1991)
Clint Eastwood takes viewers behind-the-scenes to learn how one of Hollywood's most American stars, Gary Cooper, was born. Dir: Richard Schickel. C-47 mins, TV-G

4:00 AM Wedding Night, The (1935)
A married author falls for the beautiful farm girl whose inspiration has saved him from writer's block. Cast: Gary Cooper, Anna Sten, Ralph Bellamy. Dir: King Vidor. BW-84 mins, TV-G

5:30 AM Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936)
When he inherits a fortune, a small-town poet has to deal with the corruption of city life. Cast: Gary Cooper, Jean Arthur, Lionel Stander. Dir: Frank Capra. BW-115 mins, TV-G, CC

7:30 AM Meet John Doe (1941)
A reporter's fraudulent story turns a tramp into a national hero and makes him a pawn of big business. Cast: Gary Cooper, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward Arnold. Dir: Frank Capra. BW-122 mins, TV-G, CC, DVS

9:45 AM Cowboy And The Lady, The (1938)
A socialite posing as her own maid falls for a rodeo rider. Cast: Gary Cooper, Merle Oberon, Patsy Kelly. Dir: H.C. Potter. BW-91 mins, TV-G

11:30 AM Task Force (1949)
A naval officer devotes his life to the development of the aircraft carrier. Cast: Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Jane Wyatt. Dir: Delmer Daves. BW-116 mins, TV-PG, CC

1:30 PM Wreck Of The Mary Deare, The (1959)
The skipper of a sunken ship stands trial for negligence. Cast: Gary Cooper, Charlton Heston, Michael Redgrave. Dir: Michael Anderson. C-105 mins, TV-PG, CC, Letterbox Format

3:15 PM Man Of The West (1958)
A reformed outlaw is among the hostages when his former colleagues rob a train. Cast: Gary Cooper, Lee J. Cobb, Julie London. Dir: Anthony Mann. C-100 mins, TV-PG, Letterbox Format

5:00 PM Westerner, The (1940)
A drifter accused of horse stealing faces off against the notorious Judge Roy Bean. Cast: Gary Cooper, Walter Brennan, Doris Davenport. Dir: William Wyler. BW-100 mins, TV-PG, CC

7:00 PM They Came To Cordura (1959)
Six American military heroes in Mexico fight treacherous conditions to get back to their base. Cast: Gary Cooper, Rita Hayworth, Van Heflin. Dir: Robert Rossen. C-123 mins, TV-PG

9:30 PM Pride Of The Yankees, The (1942)
Baseball legend Lou Gehrig faces a crippling disease at the height of his success. Cast: Gary Cooper, Teresa Wright, Walter Brennan. Dir: Sam Wood. BW-128 mins, TV-PG, CC

11:45 PM Return To Paradise (1953)
A south seas beach bum clashes with a puritanical missionary. Cast: Gary Cooper, Barry Jones, Roberta Haynes. Dir: Mark Robson. C-100 mins, TV-14

1:30 AM Farewell To Arms, A (1932)
An American serving in World War I falls for a spirited nurse. Cast: Gary Cooper, Helen Hayes, Adolphe Menjou. Dir: Frank Borzage. BW-80 mins, TV-G
Last edited by MissGoddess on May 30th, 2007, 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JohnM wrote:As I stated earlier, I am rediscovering Gary Cooper, so this is perfect. I've only seen 4 of the films listed.
I hope you enjoy them, John. :)