Julie Andrews - The Last Great Star

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

John

i don't know if you've heard of Anita Harris, she was a singer who appeared in some of the Carry-On Movies in the late 60s.

However, later in her career Anita became know for her Burlington Bertie the show stopper Julie did in Star. having seen both versions i have to say Anita's is best, but that's taking nothing away from Julie, because her BB is also pretty fantastic
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

John:

I need your opinion on "The Americanization of Emily" please. It's a weird but wonderfully engrossing film. Julie had a fine part. The only odd thing is she seemed to have a 1964 haircut stuck in a 1944 time frame.

I posted some comments in "What films have you seen lately.." but am anxious to hear your thoughts.

Unlike anything I've seen of her.

Thanks.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Thanks so much for your thoughts. It was interesting to see Julie out of her element, so to speak, because she is so well known and rightly admired for her musicals.

It's been a while since I've seen "Torn Curtain" so her dramatic roles are scarce to me.

Thanks again.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

John, did you see the performance of "Camelot" broadcast on PBS last night? Wondered what you thought of Marin Mazzie. I caught only a little bit, and I thought she made too many faces while she sang, which distracted the easily distracted me.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY stands are a beacon of many actors' performances, I think. When I think of Julie, I enjoy her romance and comedies becuase there are more of them. I often fail to recall EMILY but each time I see it, I could give this as my favorite performance. Or 10. Or MARY P, or any others, actually.

I like to watch EMILY stacked against 1960's SINK THE BISMARCK, although SINK's central female character (Dana Wynter) screen-time isn't as much as Julie's. But the impact both characters have on their leading men is interesting - diffident, even defiant, but finding some adjoining oath to follow in those days' turmoil. Well done for both.

Dana Wynter plays her role as I've seen in her other films. This might be a high-point for her performances, or it could be wonderfully typical. Julie's character, however, seems to be at a different level than most of her other films. I don't think she's different - the role is, the story is - and she fits so well into it.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

John, I watched a little bit more of Camelot, re-run over the weekend. I agree about Mazzie - she was all wrong on just about every level, and much too "American." Her reading of the role was more about Once Upon a Mattress than Camelot. What was with all that mugging? I was indifferent to Byrne, who seemed rather pale and lifeless, but who wouldn't seem that way, compared to Richard Burton?

I don't understand why so many producers and directors who claim to be fans of the American musical and profess to have a desire to preserve it, can make such a hash of things. I have seen high school productions of classic musicals on cable acess TV that have been better than some of the things done for PBS, or on Broadway, for that matter. In fact, I saw on TV only recently West Side Story done by Edward R. Murrow High School (in Brooklyn, of course) that was, on its small scale, really quite good.
Classic Redhead

Post by Classic Redhead »

Julie Andrews was wonderful, I loved her in mary poppins
*~*True beauty dwells in deep retreats,
Whose veil is unremoved,
Till heart with heart in concord beats,
And the lover is beloved.*~*

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

John, I can't remember if you discussed it or not, but what's your take on Victor/Victoria? I thought she was never lovelier than she was here. Her dancing (what a set of legs that woman has!) and her singing were wonderful. James Garner always seemed to bring out the best in her, and she in him. I think it's my favorite of her movies.

Have you ever seen the made-for-TV movie she and he did about 10 years ago? Can't recall the name, it was something like "Christmas Eve" ??? Thanks for your input, I feel like you are our resident Julie Andrews expert.
:)

Nancy

I still check out that photo of Julie and Omar Sharif every now and then....wow
:shock:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard