And Another Silly Question

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

And Another Silly Question

Post by jdb1 »

I've seen it mentioned here and at TCM, and people are talking about it on the Favorite Directors thread. Please -- tell me - what is this business about "Region 1" and "Region 2?" What does it mean? :?

[In fact, I think I asked about this once before, maybe at TCM, but I don't remember if anyone responded.]
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

Hi Judith,

DVDs are coded with different region codings to play on DVD players that are programmed only to play that code. The standard code for the U.S. is Region 1. I believe there are seven different codes all together, but I can't tell you where they are all from. I believe England is Region 2 for instance. Why companies do this is to prevent sales of DVDs into countries where their license rights to a film may not apply.

It is very easy to get a DVD that is coded All-Region and will therefore play DVDs from any country. You can also search on-line and find free instructions on how to convert certain DVD players to All-Region or Region -0 releases. Confusing and stupid, and yet that's the world we live in.

For example, in the past I have purchased several DVDs from over seas to get copies of foreign films not available in the U.S.. In order to watch them I purchased a cheap universal DVD player.

I hope this helps.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Thanks, friends. It's all beyond me. I put a disc in the player -- it plays -- I'm happy. If it doesn't play, at least now I'll understand why.