What are you reading?

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
inglis

Bobby Darin

Post by inglis »

I read a book about Bobby Darin. I am a big fan of his music and movies . I had no idea he wrote so many great songs . I did not know he wrote Splish Splash.Anyway it was a great book . I have some of his cd's and they make me dance alot .Great singer !
bryce

Post by bryce »

I've been reading a bit more than I have watching movies this summer, and it's been a mixture of old and new! I started off by reading William Gibson's two "new" novels, Pattern Recognition and Spook Country, then dived into his oldest (and most famous) work, Neuromancer before stopping off at his collection of short stories, Burning Chrome. Then I moved on over to Douglas Adams and read the entire Hitchhiker's trilogy (you get a prize if you get that) followed by his Dirk Gently series. Finally closing off the summer with my once-every-few-years reading of Dune. My reading has followed with the national climate of fear, politics and unrest. Did I mention I read The Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings trilogy to start the year?

Regarding "Pattern Recognition" and "Spook Country," I'm not sure there are any other fiction novels written that more accurately portray just how our world really changed on September 11th. The stories are basically interchangeable, as are the characters, but if you're reading William Gibson you're reading for the texture rich writing. This is probably the closest we'll ever get to Gibson's own political views, and it is very compelling the way in which he expounds upon them through a thorough examination of 20th century cold war politics and how, through terrorism and hysteria, we've sold ourselves out to a country of spooks with no real enemies or targets to speak of.
inglis

Jimmy

Post by inglis »

I am now reading a book about Jimmy Hendrix called Electric Gypsy. I just started it .Its got over 500 hundred pages .I will come back and give my review at some point :lol: .Hey Joe, my favorite bass line of all time is in that song.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Since I did some research the other day into Rose Hobart for the "Do You Know Me?" thread, I bought her memoirs, A Steady Digression to a Fixed Point.

This is a rather small book, part of the "Moviemakers" series published by the same people who did Mae Clarke's memoirs, The Scarecrow Press. However, I read only about 15 pages on the commute this morning, and Hobart puts a wealth of information into every paragraph. In the Forward she says that she is 87 and asks that she be forgiven if she doesn't remember things quite right. I read in the synopsis of the book online when I ordered it that this memoir goes only to age 45.

Like the Mae Clarke book, there appears to be a minimum of editing in Hobart's book, and she mentions people without explaining who they are. One thing I've already learned is that Hobart's parents were French, and that she spent a part of her young childhood living with her grandmother in the French city of Reims.

What she has not yet explained is her name. Her father's name was Kefer. But in telling an anecdote about herself at the age of 16, she refers to herself as Hobart. Maybe she changed her name, since she was working in a touring theater company by that time. If so, she hasn't yet stated that. In any event, it's already a fascinating story and I'm looking forward to reading more.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I just read "My Battle of Algiers" by Ted Morgan. It is his memoir about his time in the French army in 1956-7. (Born Sanche de Gramont, he eventually became an American and changed his name.)

If you have seen the 1966 film "The Battle of Algiers," this book gives an interesting perspective on those events. It is short and very readable.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I finished the Rose Hobart memoirs mentioned above, and I have to say I'm very disappointed. It seems that the first 15 pages I said were packed with information were just about the only pages that were. This is a very short book, and most of it is taken up with reproduced entries from Hobart's diaries of the late 30s. Only trouble is, very little of it has to do with her movie career. It's mostly "had dinner with . . . . . " and most of those named are unknown to me and she does not explain who they are.

Hobart apologizes in the Forward and in other parts of the book for her faulty memory, and she appears to be right about that. I don't think much of what she writes is accurate or trustworthy, at least in terms of sequence of events. She barely mentions her work for the actors' unions, and spends a lot of time telling about how she worked at Bonwit Teller (in what capacity is never clear), and then was offered a job as the director of the New York City branch of the House of Rochas, a French designer. She says she was cut out of the loop by the French employees who came to New York to help, and was fired. Frankly, it wasn't all that interesting.

Oh yes -- at the start of the book she calls herself French, but later on says her parents were Swiss and Belgian. Also, Hobart mentions her three husbands only by their first names, and I thought in some places she mixed them up a bit. In addition - she speaks at some length about her friendship with Osgood Perkins and his wife, Jane, and their cute little baby, Tony. She tells of how, in 1937, she was visiting the Perkins house, and as Jane was putting the little baby to bed in his crib, Hobart was looking for some milk for her dog, who she had brought along, and she inadvertently used the baby's formula. Big to-do, as then Jane Perkins had to rush to the just-about-to-close store for some more formula, becasue she had none for the morning. Well, I wonder: in 1937, Tony Perkins would have been 4 years old.

And she never did tell how her name changed from Kefer to Hobart, or when. This is really too bad -- she was an interesting actress and and even more interesting person, but there is so little information on her. This book won't help.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I've almost finished Andre Soames, "Beyond Paradise" about Ramon Novarro. The author does a very professional and respectful job, but as you can imagine, it's quite sad. It amazes me that a man with so much worldly experience was so niave and trusting. It's only a wonder that something didn't happen to him sooner. :?
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Some people never lose that quality, I guess...

After seeing a god-awful play version, I'm re-reading the Saga of Gösta Berling. Selma Lagerlöf's writing style is unique and very lively, and the whole book has the tone of an old-fashioned folk story, although it's very complex. It's one of my favourite books.

I just finished reading Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers. Characters are her strong point, I think, and sometimes the casual character interaction is more interesting than the main mystery. The book takes a long time to get going, but it's very readable. It has a touching romance, it's a bit sad - there's always underlying melancholy to the Peter Wimsey stories - but it's also hopeful. The parodies of things like the aristocracy, spiritualism and the Communist movement in Britain 1930 are quite funny too. These books really capture their time in an interesting way. Although they're flawed, I like them very much.
klondike

Post by klondike »

bryce wrote:Then I moved on over to Douglas Adams and read the entire Hitchhiker's trilogy (you get a prize if you get that)
Keep the prize; you're welcome for the fish. 8)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's funny, I watched The Big Steal last night. I found Ramon Navarro scene stealing and this is against Robert Mitchum. It shows he still had something even in his middle age.

He was latin American, I think, I'm unsure as to whether he put his accent on or whether the Mexican accent was his normal speaking voice.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I generally have my nose in a few books at a time. Usually one novel, a couple of non-fiction books, and at least one film-related book.

On the novel front, I just finished The Great Fire by Shirley Hazzard. What it lacks in story it makes up for in brilliant prose. More than once I found myself savoring a simple, but utterly thought provoking, three word sentence. Next novel up is either the third Ripley book, Ripley’s Game, by Patricia Highsmith, or Roddy Doyle’s sequel to The Woman Who Walked Into Doors, Paula Spencer (as the Doyle is on top of Highsmith, that’s the likely choice).

The Great Bridge by David McCullough. Who knew that a book on the construction of the Brooklyn Bridge would be such a page-turner? Fans of McCullough’s Presidential biographies should check this out. I’d also highly recommend his The Johnstown Flood. (I’ve been working my way through The Path Between the Seas, which is about the Panama Canal, but it reads very slow. A little too much detail, but still utterly fascinating.)

The Silence of God: Creative response to the Films of Ingmar Bergman by Arthur Gibson. Bergman is one of my favorite film makers, and this book probes seven of my favorite Bergman films (Winter Light being number one).

As I’ve been recovering from round one of some surgery, the book I pick up most from my night table, lately, is director Kevin Smith’s My Boring-Ass Life. Aptly named, it pretty much re-prints his blog, but includes some fascinating “real time” insights to Smith’s acting stint in Catch and Release (I had no idea how swank “trailers” really are), and the pre-production, filming, and post-production on Clerks 2. Plus, you learn that Smith pretty much watches TV 24-7.

Oh yea, I’m also reading The Best of Mutts by Patrick McDonnell. The best drawn comic strip (Breathed’s Opus is a strong second, but not for much longer, sniff, sniff). The first panel of the Sunday strip, McDonnell often parodies famous works of art (as well as album covers, etc), but since our local paper cuts the first panel, these are new to me.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
myrnaloyisdope

Post by myrnaloyisdope »

I'm currently reading Joan Blondell's biography A Life Between Takes by Matthew Kennedy. I'm almost finished, but the book has been quite good, it appears to be very well researched, as a lot of information is gleaned from her relatives, and contemporary sources. I must admit it's kind of cool to read a direct quote from a movie magazine that I actually own.

I've been a devotee of Joan's work for a while now, so it's fascinating to hear her story, although I must admit it's kind of a depressing tale with rape, abortion, abuse and divorce all being part of her story. It's a shame that such a wonderful gal had to go through so much, because everything I have read about her paints as a genuinely lovely person.

Anyway the book has been pretty fascinating, and sheds some much deserved light on Joan's career, and provides some wonderful insight into the person she was. It's definitely worth checking out.
"Do you think it's dangerous to have Busby Berkeley dreams?" - The Magnetic Fields
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:It's funny, I watched The Big Steal last night. I found Ramon Navarro scene stealing and this is against Robert Mitchum. It shows he still had something even in his middle age.

He was latin American, I think, I'm unsure as to whether he put his accent on or whether the Mexican accent was his normal speaking voice.
Alison,

I'm sure it was his normal speaking voice. He was Mexican, and I don't think ever got rid of his accent. Ramon was a fine actor. After the 30's and his severance from MGM, his out put went way down sadly, and he wasn't good at choosing vehicles for himself. But he shone in what he did do.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Thanks for filling me in Brenda, I knew he was of latin heritage. I've watched him in a few silents and even though I know his background, it was strange to hear him. His voice didn't fit in my head with Ben Hur.

And yes, I am as nutty as a fruitcake :lol:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

:D Alison, no you're not! John Gilbert's voice wasn't what I had imagined either, though there was nothing wrong with it. I think we all get these ideas, especially concerning silent stars, about what we think their voices sound like. Oddly enough, Ramon sounded pretty much as I'd imagined. I saw a film clip of him recently in the movie he made with Garbo, and I saw him in a couple of other sound movies. I think he worked on his accent, but never completely got rid of it. He was born on 6 February 1899, Durango, Mexico, so he was close in age to John Gilbert, born 10 July 1897. I only mention them together because the popularity of their films seems to be around the same time frame. I don't believe they ever made a film together. By the time Gilbert died in 1936, Novarro's contract with MGM wasn't renewed, he had pretty much succumbed to alcoholism, and he never made another film for a really major studio. Gilbert had a drinking problem as well.