"Rays Of Light" a new Robert Osborne Introduction

Discussion of programming on TCM.
TalkieTime

"Rays Of Light" a new Robert Osborne Introduction

Post by TalkieTime »

At long last the original Robert Osborne introduction has been replaced by a "Rays Of Light" introduction shown for the first time before 2001: A Space Odyssey and repeated before Touch Of Evil and The Red Shoes.

See it here:

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/index/?o_c ... cid=214160
"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance." --Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Wow!

While the original intro was more about the cathedral of the film with the music and imagery, the new imagery is more about the people connection to film and moving towards the light (the ethereal light that comes from the projection booth).

I'm not sure how it will be perceived by long time lovers of the channel but I applaud the audacity in the movie to the more personal.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

TalkieTime

Post by TalkieTime »

It's taken repeated viewings before I observed the connection of the rays of light (finally) producing the Robert Osborne screen. Only now do I see it--that this is "the ethereal light that comes from the projection booth."

But I'm still confused by the people fixated upon the rays of light rather than what the light produces. That fixation is what occasioned my choice of the title of this thread.
"A rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a rose will possess the rose's fragrance." --Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)