I, Claudius

Discussion of the actors, directors and film-makers who 'made it all happen'
Metry_Road

I, Claudius

Post by Metry_Road »

Rumors abound on the internet that Robert Graves’ epic novels about the dysfunctional Julio-Claudians will finally reach the big screen. Rumor also has it that Leonardo DiCaprio will star as the Emperor Claudius. I like the idea of DiCaprio in this role. Of the current crop of actors I think he is the most likeable.

Augustus - ?
Tiberius – Tom Hanks
Caligula – Brad Pitt
Claudius – Leonardo DiCaprio
Nero – Johnny Depp
Livia - ?
Messalina - ?

Just Guessing

Best wishes
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

It was only a matter of time.

And if everyone will allow me a knee-jerk rant: God forbid Claudius, a role that on its surface calls for a less-than-perfect-looking lead, be played by an actor whose looks are indeed less than perfect. Nothing against any of these men - they're all talented, to some extent - but this role would be plum for an actor with average (or below) looks, rather than requiring a makeup crew to make an especially handsome man look ugly. I mean, for God's sake, Hollywood, do not do something crazy like cast Philip Seymour Hoffman in the lead. However might you draw the teenage girls?

[Please forgive my bluster. Lookswise, I lean toward homemade sin myself, and this kind of thing will get on my nerves from time to time.]

That said, Miranda Richardson must play Livia.
rudyfan

Post by rudyfan »

srowley75 wrote:That said, Miranda Richardson must play Livia.
OMG, that is spot-on casting!
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

rudyfan wrote:
srowley75 wrote:That said, Miranda Richardson must play Livia.
OMG, that is spot-on casting!
Long, long ago in another internet film discussion group far, far away, I listed my cast for a modern-day remake of Claudius, but outside of Richardson as Livia, I remember very few of my casting decisions. I imagine in reality Cate Blanchett would be cast as Livia, yet I see her more as Agrippina. I think I may have cast Kate Winslet as Messalina.

There are supporting roles that call for some beefcake/cheesecake (e.g., Messalina, Germanicus, Agrippina, Postumous, Livilla, Sejanus), and I think the hottie-and-gifted actors and actresses could be well cast in those roles. But the lead shouldn't be a finalist for People's "sexiest men alive."
Last edited by srowley75 on January 29th, 2009, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
klondike

Post by klondike »

srowley75 wrote:

[Please forgive my bluster. Lookswise, I lean toward homemade sin myself, and this kind of thing will get on my nerves from time to time.]
Not to worry, SR; in the amniotic dark of the audience, we are all freed to play Proteus to the posturing Prosperos parading on the giant screen before us. :wink: