Bright Star

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
JackFavell

Bright Star

Post by JackFavell »

I just saw Bright Star last night - I really enjoyed it, maybe even loved it, though I wasn't sure I was going to. I was not a fan of The Piano when it came out. It really didn't do a thing for me.

Jane Campion's eye can be so very cold and muted. I think her directing can be quite clinical - as if she were pinning a butterfly into a glass case before our eyes. There is always something uncomfortable about her films. Too close for comfort is the phrase that comes to mind, and yet, sometimes it's as if the audience were one step removed.

That being said, cold and muted fit this story like a perfectly hand-stitched glove. The intensity of these characters lives fits excellently within Campion's viewpoint, and her sure mise en scene was a thrill to watch, with settings as pastoral as the best in romantic poetry. The ravishing story was moving and intimate, but not uncomfortably so. The film is filled with realistic touches - natural, yet made beautiful by the love of the two young people. The lovers palpable warmth in the cold atmosphere of their time gave me a feeling of immediacy and pity. I felt that Campion wanted to honor her emotional subject with an emotional film. It is a slow film, in the best sense, totally befitting the subject matter. I was drawn in and remained fascinated right up to the end.

Of course the sets and costumes were crazy beautiful and intricate (like the structure of a sonnet)...and very realistic for the time period portrayed. If the costumer/art director Janet Patterson doesn't win an academy award, I'll eat my hat.
click to enlarge:

Comparing the art of stitchery to the art of poetry was lovely - lightly done. I liked how Campion gradually brought us into this more deliberate, unhurried, quieter world....a world in which two people could conceivably love one another forever without ever consummating that love, except in words. The use of white was devastating in the context of the story - a white curtain, a wall, even a hat, coming between the two, or hiding them from the rest of the world. Two lovers unable to marry, chaste in body, but bound together through verse on the whitest piece of paper. The leisurely pace gives one time to notice all the achingly beautiful things in the film, things the camera lingers over - leather bound books, a linen flounce, flowers, a wisp of hair, butterfly wings....as if Keats himself were taking notice, telling us to pay attention to the beauty around us. The conceit of memorizing and reciting poetry works here because we have been led into a world where people have the time and the quiet to do so.

What did people do before they were bombarded with overwhelming sound and imagery 100% of the time? They turned inward, As Fanny Brawne (Abbie Cornish) does on meeting Keats....she finds she is not content pouring her considerable talents into fashion and wit, as she had been. She has only found solace in her sewing until this point. It is the only outlet allowed, and she is obsessed with it. She is thought quite silly and vain, but there is more to it. As a young woman of marriageable age, she is expected to be light and carefree, but there is a steadfast soul underneath the frivolous exterior. She is at first unable to put in the requisite thought required to study Milton or other poets picked out for her, she only has eyes for Keats. She pursues him as obsessively as she worked at her ruffles and gathers, as a conquest. He only finds her amusing. But something in Keats poetry opens her, and she becomes a seeker....Keats finds that she is bright and emotional. When she spends all night stitching a pillow cover for his dying brother, he is moved. They are brought together by death, her father's, his brother's. They fall very, very slowly in love, and are divided from each other at every turn. Her journey into the depths of love and suffering will help her to understand poetry at last, the most difficult of the arts to comprehend.

The acting was superb, although I wasn't sure where Abbie Cornish's character was coming from at first. She is so pretty that it is hard not to look at her with a jaundiced eye, which was intentional on Campion's part, I believe. Is she for real? Or is she just a vain clothes horse, sucking men dry of their inspiration? The men of her time would think she was a pretty piece of work - a viewpoint we are led to, in order for Campion to shatter that notion later on. Her character was redeemed and I give Cornish a lot of credit for the bravery it took to pull off some of her scenes at the end of the film. Her finest moment comes in the last frames of the film.

The rest of the cast were brilliant, with especial mention of Ben Whishaw as the ethereal, consumptive John Keats and the remarkable Paul Schneider as his dissolute artist friend, Mr. Brown. Whishaw was good enough that I never questioned his portrayal throughout the film, as I usually do when watching a biopic. He was weak of body but strong in spirit, just as one would want Keats to be. He and Ms. Cornish were able to show volumes with the slightest flicker of an eyelash, a turning of the head. And Mr. Schneider was incredible as Keats jealous writing partner and patron - very much in the same vein as Alan Bates. He rang change after change in his character, and at the same time represented all that was disdainful and greedy in an artist's (and a man's) nature. That he was able to make you feel so sorry for him at the end of the film is a testament to his great acting.

I have NEVER been in an audience before in which you could hear a pin drop by the end of the movie. One couple got up and left before the credits were over, but the entire rest of the audience stayed right through to the very last credit on the screen, thanks to Whishaw's voice over reading of Keat's poem, Ode to a Nightingale. One begins to realize that the act of listening is an art, too.

Last edited by JackFavell on October 16th, 2009, 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mrsl

Re: Bright Star

Post by mrsl »

When I started reading, I wasn't sure if this was an old movie or a new one, until you started naming people I never heard of. This happens with foreign films, but I got the feeling this was an American film. Any way, it sounds like something I'll look out for when it comes to TV. Also, in the body of your post, you asked what people did before our world was bombarded with sound, and actually you answered your own query with: "One begins to realize that the act of listening is an art, too." For hundreds of years, people came together during day and evening hours, and while one read a book, the others listened and did needlework, played cards, etc. I love period pieces and I'm looking forward to seeing Bright Star.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The film was made by New Zealander, Jane Campion, with a British, American and Australian cast. Sorry I wasn't clear about the date of the movie - it is out in movie theatres right now, mrsl.

Here is the trailer, which only hints at some of the oddly beautiful qualities of this film. If you have the option, try to watch it full screen.

[youtube][/youtube]

Here is another trailer, from Europe, I think:

http://nl.filmtrailer.com/cinema/2986/

Many of the critics that I have been reading today (I don't read critics before I see a film) say that it is refreshing to have a historical romance that is not cloying or overly sentimental, nor is it filled with cliche. I especially like what this reviewer had to say. It absolutely captures the Romantic (in capital letters)feel of the entire movie:

Ty Burr, from the Boston Globe says,
If you think that Fanny is a Jane Austen heroine, so, in a sense, does Fanny. The movie’s explicitly about how the age of Austen was vanquished by the Romantic era of Keats, Byron, and Shelley - how sense tumbled helplessly and willingly into sensibility.
Here is a link to his review.

http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/article ... eroticism/

Edited to include a better trailer
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I have stopped reading any critic. I find these forums to be 100% better in every aspect. Writers do argue and re-argue their points, they offer a broad range of views on any number of films or characters, often in response to others. Press critics - even with blogs - don't do this, and I hope they'll switch to being forum contributors.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hey, Ollie!

I agree with you about critics.... I get far more, LOADS more, from the message boards. I don't read critics EVER before going to a film, but I find that when I get obsessed with a film, I like to read other's opinions of it. Bright Star is too new for me to find a lot of folks who have seen it already. I simply wanted to discuss it, and since I couldn't I decided to read those reviews.

To me, the worst words in the world are "The critics said it was terrible." My sister constantly says this to me and it's all I can do to stifle a scream lately. I say sweetly, for the hundredth time, "I like to make up my own mind." Usually after giving her my mini-apology/review, which is something like "I didn't think it was that bad..." she reiterates her previous statement by saying again, "Really? The critics said.... " AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I liked most of the criticism of this particular movie, because the quality of the writing was high (the reviewers were on their best behavior when writing about a great writer).

It's not that I didn't have some quibbles with this film, there is still Campion's maddening way of distancing the viewer when she should be pulling them in.... but I don't want some Roger Ebert wanna-be telling me about it before I have even seen the film!

Of course, that's exactly what I just did, isn't it? :oops:

Just call me Roger.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

JackF - what software are you using to do those screen-caps? Those are SOO crisp and beautiful. Wowser. I want! I want!

When it was the real Siskel & Ebert, I discovered I agreed when they did - thumbs up or down, as long as it was unanimous, I just about always agreed with those. When they were split, however, I too never had a sense of a film's worthiness.

Those shows were interesting because, like these forums, the two talked about their reasons, responded to debating points and offered up occasional historic "I liked XZY because of this director too" comments so I could evaluate any bias.

I have read a few blogs in hopes of finding tolerable ones, but I think I suffer from A Point In Life where children, wife, dogs, friends have stripped us from our once-annual 300-400 films a year into 200, then 100 and now, we've probably only seen 4 modern films this year. We've probably only seen 100 on TCM, even, maybe less. But our DVD purchasing and collecting maintains its pace in anticipated of that wafting rainy-day prayer. We'll have to head for Canada and change that into blizzardy week of being marooned in the cabin, instead!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Hi JF,
I loved your critique and Ollie is so right about the beauty of your images. Are they screen caps that you made from some online clips, since this is a movie in theaters right now? I hope to see this film now, even though I wasn't keen on Jane Campion's "The Piano" (1993). I hope that you'll post more of these evaluations in the future. Thanks!
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ollie-

My movie watching is way down too... I don't even rent very many any more because of family - husband, daughter, dog, hamster, fish..........but I am lucky to have a movie buddy who loves Jane Austen, historical films, quirky independent features and a few big time blockbusters. She has saved me in the last couple of years.....well, the message boards, too!

I loved Siskel and Ebert, because I knew that between the two I would get a clear view of the film they were talking about....they were so well matched, even when they didn't agree, that they covered all the points you needed to know.

Moira -

I copied the photos online. I have a couple of different screencap choices, but I find that my VLC media player makes the best, clearest caps ever.... but it won't copy subtitles, which is a big pain.

I really didn't like The Piano AT ALL, so it was with trepidation that I went to this one.... and as I sat there, watching Bright Star, I found that some of the same problems were apparent in this one, but it just all worked much better here. However, there is no sledghammer THEME or viewpoint being pounded out at you in Bright Star.

I would warn that though many of the reviews include the word erotic in them, this is quite a stretch.... because the scenes in which these two characters touch are exactly the ones I have shown pictures of, and it constitutes maybe two or three scenes after the two have known one another a long time. And that is one of the reasons I liked it... It's about the meeting of minds, timeless love, and the blending of two spirits. It is true to the age it portrays.