100 Films Closer to Death

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ChiO

Re: 100 Films Closer to Death

Post by ChiO »

She also seems interested in other films about rock groups, including Woodstock and Gimme Shelter (both of which made the list).
STOP MAKING SENSE!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Nowadays it is easier to find the films listed in the book, 80% of which I've managed to rent or buy. I think this might be a factor when compiling the book that some films are inaccessible to the public at large. There have been ones that I had been dying to see, mainly world cinema and now most are available.

Along with the education that it gave me about films, it made me think even more about the people who directed them, when renting movies I'd search on the director and watch other movies made.

If I had my way more silent movies would be included because there are so many I enjoy and find it hard to make choices about.

I can't understand why High Society was included, I do agree with the inclusion of Guys and Dolls. Has your sister tried Elia Kazan's films with Brando? She might like them.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Nowadays it is easier to find the films listed in the book, 80% of which I've managed to rent or buy. I think this might be a factor when compiling the book that some films are inaccessible to the public at large. There have been ones that I had been dying to see, mainly world cinema and now most are available.
Some of the films included in the 1001 book I still haven't found. Many I was lucky to find: The Smiling Madame Beudet, The Housemaid (1960), Me and My Gal, Docks of New York, Black God White Devil. There are several others that aren't coming to mind right now, but I had to look high and low before locating copies. One that I haven't yet found is Hill 24 Doesn't Answer. Again, I'm left to wonder just how vital that one is when considering what was omitted.
If I had my way more silent movies would be included because there are so many I enjoy and find it hard to make choices about.
Before this, she'd seen almost no silents except the Chaplin movies, which for a time she became nearly fanatical about (and I'm sure you could understand that :D ). She saw Nosferatu by accident while I was watching it one evening. She saw what was on the screen and couldn't turn away (I imagine Max Schreck got that a lot). Same with Keaton's The Navigator, which I rented from the library one night when she was stuck in the house. So almost all the silents included in the book are totally new to her, especially the dramatic films.
Has your sister tried Elia Kazan's films with Brando? She might like them.
She saw Streetcar one evening, again because of me. If memory serves, I was watching it for a class - but I remember she watched it with me. I'm almost sure Vivien Leigh drew her in. She has seen and enjoyed GWTW.

There are a few of the key classics she has yet to see - Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, Maltese Falcon, The Searchers, Treasure of Sierra Madre, On the Waterfront, Best Years of Our Lives, and several others. I think those may take top priority in the coming year (though who knows how much longer I'll be doing this - hopefully I find a job soon and move out).
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

ChiO wrote: STOP MAKING SENSE!
People usually request that I do the opposite.

Seriously, I don't know if that particular title is in the book or not, but whatever the case, it'd be a new one for me as well. We keep renting This is Spinal Tap from the library (not a real music documentary, I know) but never setting aside time to watch it. I think I've paid enough in overdue library fines to own a copy of the movie.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I'd agree with 90% of those. That book is a great way to introduce a person to new genres by giving a guide to some of the films rated as the best in the field, even though we know there are some omissions.
Just one more thing...

It became clear to me while reading the book that the contributors and I had markedly different ideas on "Movies to See Before You Die." I agree that there are important films in cinematic history, but as a participant on another message board also mentioned, those films sometimes differ from the films I feel should be seen by everyone "before they die." The significance, importance, and pure joy of many underground, independent, and foreign films will likely be lost on the average Joe, and therefore they'll generally be a waste of time for them. By contrast, films like Plan 9 From Outer Space, The Bad Seed, Kings Row, Hush..Hush Sweet Charlotte, A Summer Place, Valley of the Dolls, Peyton Place, and Glen or Glenda are so enjoyable in a variety of ways that - speaking from personal experience - I'd have felt much worse if I'd have missed those somewhere along the line. And that's why I didn't hesitate to include many of those on my supplemental list.

-Stephen
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

srowley75 wrote:We keep renting This is Spinal Tap from the library (not a real music documentary, I know) but never setting aside time to watch it. I think I've paid enough in overdue library fines to own a copy of the movie.
You guys definitely need to watch that one if you haven't seen it yet. In honor of all the Elvis TCM is playing today I submit this:

[youtube][/youtube]
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

We can add another to her favorites list - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, which we finished yesterday during lunch (and you can add it to my own as well). I thought I'd seen it before, but I remembered none of the later scenes, so I have this feeling I never saw the whole thing. Anyway, while both of us still consider Once Upon a Time to be the better Leone (unlike the IMDB voters, apparently), we still had fun with this one. Eli Wallach gives one of those "iconic but no way in hell it would've won awards" performances.

We started Nanook of the North last night but didn't get far - she likes Animal Planet and reality TV so I thought this would be a good selection. And she's intrigued after reading the blurb at the beginning that Nanook died only 2 years after the movie was filmed.

-Stephen
Last edited by srowley75 on January 8th, 2010, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Arkadin -

Thanks for the "tribute" to Elvis.. Hilarious!

Spinal Tap just gets better every time you watch it.
charliechaplinfan

Some of the films included in the 1001 book I still haven't found. Many I was lucky to find: The Smiling Madame Beudet, The Housemaid (1960), Me and My Gal, Docks of New York, Black God White Devil. There are several others that aren't coming to mind right now, but I had to look high and low before locating copies. One that I haven't yet found is Hill 24 Doesn't Answer. Again, I'm left to wonder just how vital that one is when considering what was omitted.

I think you've had more success that me, one I remember searching for is the Russian film Earth. I don't tend to use it as much these days, now I'm more in tune with what I like and like to watch what others recommend here. Until this thread started I hadn't looked at it for ages. It's a great place for your sister to start.

She saw Streetcar one evening, again because of me. If memory serves, I was watching it for a class - but I remember she watched it with me. I'm almost sure Vivien Leigh drew her in. She has seen and enjoyed GWTW.

Vivien is one classy actress, she's always draws the eye.

There are a few of the key classics she has yet to see - Citizen Kane, Touch of Evil, Maltese Falcon, The Searchers, Treasure of Sierra Madre, On the Waterfront, Best Years of Our Lives, and several others. I think those may take top priority in the coming year (though who knows how much longer I'll be doing this - hopefully I find a job soon and move out).

There's a couple on there I haven't seen yet. I was your sister's age when I saw On The Waterfront, it made a great impact on me, particularly Brando, I'd love to know what your sister thinks.

I hope you get that job before too long :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I think you've had more success that me, one I remember searching for is the Russian film Earth. I don't tend to use it as much these days, now I'm more in tune with what I like and like to watch what others recommend here. Until this thread started I hadn't looked at it for ages. It's a great place for your sister to start.
I think I may have recorded Earth from TCM one night. Another one that was hard for me to find - one I imagine wasn't as difficult for you in the UK - was The Man in Grey (1943). We've got both that one and Odd Man Out near the top of our "to see" pile. We like James Mason.
I hope you get that job before too long :wink:
Thank you - so do I.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Tonight we viewed Rock Hudson in Seconds (we've postponed Nanook to a later time down the road). Some great camerawork, a suspenseful story, and a good performance by Hudson (who really didn't enter the movie until about halfway through) but I don't think either of us would call the film a favorite due to its sheer length. It did seem to drag in spots and I don't think Frankenheimer's point was made quite clearly enough. Personally, i'm glad I saw it, though.
charliechaplinfan

Alas Nanook isn't available to rent here yet but there is an option to reserve so hopefully it will be out for release in the future.

At least you have TCM in the States, that show a good selection of movies, I've never seen any channel here comparable to TCM, we have our own version but it's no where near as good. I usually resort to renting and then buying the really good movies.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Seconds is a fascinating film, but does fall apart, as you say. It should be watched at two in the morning for maximum effect. :D

Odd Man Out is spectacularly good - I just love it, it's a beautiful film and I really enjoy the performances, though Mason's role is largely unspoken. I hope you watch it soon!
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

SR, I'd also heartily recommend STOP MAKING SENSE as an ultimate filming of a concert performance. I'd also place MAD DOGS & ENGLISHMEN as a #2 recommendation over all the far-more popular ones you'd listed.

I've also been incredibly impressed with the SMILE DVD with Brian Wilson and his orchestra. It has a very-useful accompanying feature which I generally recommend as First Viewing, then watching the concert performance afterwards.

STOP, however, needs none of that and, if there are bonus interviews (particularly those done years later, among the venom of the Talking Heads breakups and divorces), you may react like I did - more sorrowful that yet another John & Paul series of pissing contests deprives music fans of years and decades of more great music and performances.

Conversely, there's the very good 2005 LOVELY TO SEE YOU by The Moody Blues 2-disc set which includes a performance disk and a bonus-feature-interview disk, showing that critical bandmates can leave but all parties maintain a respect, admiration and fondness for those days together and wishing best things for these separated friends. Much like SMILE, the 2005 performance shows that 'hired guns' who grew up, steeped in the lessons of these classic bands, can find it most satisfying to their young souls to perform alongside.
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

JackFavell wrote:Seconds is a fascinating film, but does fall apart, as you say. It should be watched at two in the morning for maximum effect. :D

Odd Man Out is spectacularly good - I just love it, it's a beautiful film and I really enjoy the performances, though Mason's role is largely unspoken. I hope you watch it soon!
Re: Seconds, I spent most of the movie trying to figure out where I'd seen Hudson's bohemian lover (Salome Jens) before. It finally hit me that she was Tom Hartman's lover Mae on Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman. I looked her up and she'd had a more prolific acting career than I'd thought.

Thanks for the recommendation for Odd Man Out. I think we might try one of those two Masons tonight, if the mood is right.