The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by movieman1957 »

Yahoo! I am hoping to hear my son got a job. It isn't what he wants but it is a job and full time.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Congratulations to Nancy and your son Chris.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

I don't know how I overlooked this thread before. What a lovely gesture setting it up. Thanks, Moira.

Well I'm working again, after ten months. It's a fantastic place--an embarrassment of riches. Today was my third day.

I made the most of the hiatus, I guess; I learned how to produce sheet music for my little family five-piece and fixed up my apartment. Other parts of it were kind of grim, particularly towards the end when I really started scraping the bottom of the till.

The cable man took my box away months ago, so my "TV time" has consisted exclusively of watching old films out of my collection. I had a lot of little film festivals while I was waiting for the proverbial phone to ring. There was the Mary Astor festival, the Garbo festival, the DeMille Silents festival, the Eve Arden festival, the gritty Depression festival...you get the idea. Also, I think the forced abstinence from TV news has been good for me.

The job's a temp-to-hire situation, in my professional field. I have a couple of old friends there, so it feels like the it could be the start of a charming new chapter.

I'm going to miss the naps, though.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hooray for you, n2thenitrate (that's a mouthful! :lol: :lol: )

I know what you mean, I was unemployed from July 16 to Jan 26 of this year. whew. but I miss getting up later :oops:

glad you're here!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Cool, another musician.
Chris

Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Congrats on the jobs, friends. i can't wait to get back to mine after this week off. B
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm so pleased for you intothenitrate, may you continue to enjoy your job and may this be the start of a brand new chapter of your life. I'm glad you decided to join our band.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Well, I think it's good news --

I went online at 8:45AM yesterday to make sure I was prompt for the 9 AM start time, and I scored tickets for Ringo Starr's 70th birthday concert (70!!!!!) at Radio City Music Hall this coming July. Orchestra seats, to boot.

If Ringo is hale and hearty and does show up, it will be the first time I've seen him in solo concert, but the third time I've seen him live. Only, the last time I saw him, he was about 27, and he was in a band with these three other guys. Young Rich was so stoned that night, he fell over his drum kit more than once, and McCartney kept turning around to face him, probably to yell at him to wake up. But -- Ringo says those days are behind him now. I certainly hope so.

Hey -- if he's 70, how old does that make me??????"
ken123

Post by ken123 »

jdb1 wrote:Well, I think it's good news --

I went online at 8:45AM yesterday to make sure I was prompt for the 9 AM start time, and I scored tickets for Ringo Starr's 70th birthday concert (70!!!!!) at Radio City Music Hall this coming July. Orchestra seats, to boot.

If Ringo is hale and hearty and does show up, it will be the first time I've seen him in solo concert, but the third time I've seen him live. Only, the last time I saw him, he was about 27, and he was in a band with these three other guys. Young Rich was so stoned that night, he fell over his drum kit more than once, and McCartney kept turning around to face him, probably to yell at him to wake up. But -- Ringo says those days are behind him now. I certainly hope so.

Hey -- if he's 70, how old does that make me??????"
A treasure at any age ! :D u
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I saw Ringo at a venue here in Dallas several years ago. I was close enough to get a good look at him. He was probably in his sixties at the time and he looked Great! Paul does as well.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

How exciting. I'm sure he won't disappoint. I've always been a Beatles fan ever since I was young enough to pay attention. Last August/September, VH1 was airing Beatles-related programming as a run-up to the release of the Beatles Rock Band video game [a product that competes with the Guitar Hero system]. Mt two younger sons, who are 9 and 11, were caught up in the excitement and became fans in their own right, which is pretty cool. I made sure I caught each program, watching some of them multiple times (because they cycled through them around the clock).

Ringo definitely came through all the madness the least affected, I think, and his natural centeredness must have undoubtedly been an anchor for the other three. I was most impressed by his appearance at the memorial concert for George. He was so much more cavalier than the other performers at the event, which initially struck me as odd. By the time he was done, though, I realized that he was actually pushing past the soberness and sanctimony of the event and connecting the audience with the joy that music brings.

I still get chills remembering his rendition of "Photograph."
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Since you are a Beatles' fan you might enjoy reading "MichiganJ's" review of the Beatles remastered albums.

Check -

http://silverscreenoasis.com/oasis3/vie ... &start=195

Around page 13-14.
Chris

silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I've just booked my flight to go see my half brother over in England who was only a name on a birth certificate to me for many, many years. We've been corresponding for over a year now, and he is much more than a name to me now. He's a living, breathing wonderful person! I'll see him in the middle two weeks of July!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
ken123

Post by ken123 »

silentscreen wrote:I've just booked my flight to go see my half brother over in England who was only a name on a birth certificate to me for many, many years. We've been corresponding for over a year now, and he is much more than a name to me now. He's a living, breathing wonderful person! I'll see him in the middle two weeks of July!

:D :)
feaito

Post by feaito »

silentscreen wrote:I've just booked my flight to go see my half brother over in England who was only a name on a birth certificate to me for many, many years. We've been corresponding for over a year now, and he is much more than a name to me now. He's a living, breathing wonderful person! I'll see him in the middle two weeks of July!
Glad to hear that Brenda. Sounds marvelous :D