Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

ken123

Re: Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss

Post by ken123 »

mrl,
I believe Pat Hungle replaced doc during Milburn Stones illness.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I don't know what I was thinking, because I know the man's name quite well. BTW, it should be Hingle, and I realize the 'i' is right next to the 'u'.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Richard--W

Post by Richard--W »

Gunsmoke or Bonanza...discuss
Neither.
I never could get into either program.
Gunsmoke, Wagon Train, The Virginian, The Big Valley, Lancer, right up to Little House On the Prairie and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, I can't relate to horse operas.

Wanted: Dead Or Alive, Have Gun Will Travel, and The Rifleman are okay up to a point if I'm watching on DVD with no commercial interruptions.

That having been said, I wish there were a dozen brand new western series running on television right now, instead of the crap we're getting.

One western program I thought was a cut above the usual was The Guns of Will Sonnett.

Two programs that are vague in my memory, and that I'd like to give another look to, are High Chaparel and the short-lived The Outcasts with Don Murray.

Richard
"To live outside the law you must be honest."
Bob Dylan, 1965
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I always liked "The Guns of Will Sonnett" but it was always one of things where if they found the boy's father there wouldn't be a show. Even at that it was enjoyable.

Some others here have spoken highly of "High Chaparel."

I'm game for most western shows anyway though "Maverick" never caught on with me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:I always liked "The Guns of Will Sonnett" but it was always one of things where if they found the boy's father there wouldn't be a show.
Hey, Chris, ya think maybe the missing Sonnett could've cleared Jason McCord from being "Branded" a coward? :shock: {Shades of the one-armed man!}
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Richard: At one time, Westerns were mainly the only things offered on prime time TV, with musical variety shows thrown in to fill in the other spaces, like Ed Sullivan, Lawrence Welk, and Show of Shows all featuring various singers, and musicians. As for commercials, the shows playing on Encore's Western Channel have the commercials taken out. I never watch anything on TVLand directly, I always put on the DVR so I can FF through the ads. In fact, I DVR nearly everything I watch so I can FF through all of it. I hate commercials in any show especially things like NCIS, and NCIS, Los Angeles, etc.

Movieman 1957: I loved Jim Garner and still do, as Maverick, but never warmed up to either Jack Kelly or RogerMoore.

I don't believe I ever saw an episode of The Guns of Will Sonnett.

I agree about working together for 15 or 20 years and forming a 'family'. Jim Drury (the Virginian) and Doug McClure (Trampas) were both on The Virginian for the full time it was on. Everyone else came and went but they were always there.

I am looking forward to Wagon Train starting next month though.
Anne

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

WAGON TRAIN is starting next month????? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never seen that show yet
so this is terrific news!!!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

April:

Wasn't that what he was doing?

Anne:

That may be my issue with "Maverick." I think Garner is great. I loved "Rockford Files" and many other things he did. With "Maverick" you never know who is going to show up.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

movieman1957 wrote:April:

Wasn't that what he was doing?

I'm not sure who or what you're referring to, MM????
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:WAGON TRAIN is starting next month????? YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've never seen that show yet
so this is terrific news!!!
It looks like it is true, beginning with a January 1st marathon on Encore Western, with more details below:
http://www.starz.com/series/wagontrain

There is a bit more about this in this thread in the TV and Media section of this site too.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

If I had a weekly paycheck coming in, I would be willing to bet a small portion of it that you will love Wagon Train, and I, for one, cannot wait to hear your comments on it. My own memories are vague, but I do recall never missing it, and often going over to my friends house to see it, because Mom and Dad were watching something else. Ward Bond was the wagon master, and Robert Horton was the head scout, and every week they had guest stars on, whom the story revolved around. It may comfort you in your loss of the Rifleman.
Anne

MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

mrsl wrote:. It may comfort you in your loss of the Rifleman.
:D Sigh...those are big boots to fill, but I reckon Wardy and Mr Horton can get her done.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I was watching a June Allyson movie the other day, The Girl in White, which turned out to be surprisingly good, and James Arness had a little role in it.

He was hysterically funny. He started out the scene lying on a stretcher, shirt off, and when doctor June told him to stand up so she could fix his dislocated shoulder, he just kept going up up up. The picture of him standing next to tiny June was very funny. Finally she got him to lie on the floor, while she pulled and turned his arm, rolling around on the floor.....until pop! the shoulder went into place. Big Jim was all amazement and gratitude at the little girl who put it right.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

That sounds really cute, Wendy. I don't think I ever saw Arness in a comedy, at least that I remember.
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

He's only in it for one scene, but it was probably the most memorable scene - and he was pretty great looking without his shirt, no mistaking him for someone else. He got spoken lines and everything.