Max Linder on TCM (late April 13)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
egolden

Max Linder on TCM (late April 13)

Post by egolden »

I have such a crush on Max. He's nothing like Chaplin, Keaton, Lloyd; you have to see him to appreciate him. They are showing Troubles of a Grass Widower (1912), Max Takes a Picture (1913) and Seven Years bad Luck (1921) tonight.

I wish they would show his daughter's documentary on him!
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I have been waiting for these to come on tonight. I have never seen any of these films and I'm chomping a the bit! 8)
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

I'll be watching these too, as I've never seen him on screen yet - only in film stills, and gosh, is he ever handsome! And such a dapper dresser - who says you have to wear baggy pants to be funny?
Gagman 66

Post by Gagman 66 »

People,

:) I don't really recall off-hand seeing any of these early shorts before? So don't expect to much? But the feature SEVEN YEARS BAD LUCK (1921) is very, very funny. You should enjoy seeing that one one quite a bit! :lol:

:? Linder is generally acknowledged as the first great Comedian of the Cinema before Chaplin. Charlie even freely admitted to Max strong influence on his work. However, at least in America, John Bunny probably should hold the honor, of the first great before Chaplin? Bunny was world famous, and much loved, but so few of his films remain that nobody has seen much of his work today???
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I agree. The documentary "The Man in the Black Silk hat" by Linder's daughter is a terrific film.

Back in 1980, I saw a John Bunny film in a comedy in film class. It was like watching an episode of "The Honeymooners" with the volume turned off. He seemed like a forerunner of W. C. Fields (in his domestic mode) and Gleason, and perhaps you could imagine him as the ancestor of Archie Bunker, but I don't think I laughed once.