Broken Arrow and White Feather

stuart.uk

Broken Arrow and White Feather

Post by stuart.uk »

Broken Arrow and White Feather were two westerns based on a true story.

BA was directed by Delmer Daves, who wrote the screenplay for WF. Both films dealt with a white skiined man, who becomes friends with the Indians, inspiring peace, but not without difficulty

Both films had a love story between the hero and an Indian girl with James Stewart and Robert Wagner. Debra Paget played both girls. I don't know if Debra's character in BA was factual or not, but it's been suggested the reason she was killed off in the film because in 1950 it was reckoned audiences weren't ready for a long term mixed relationship.

However, I would think her character in WF was factual and this time just a few short yrs after BA, the white skinned Wagner and Indian girl Paget rode off into the sunset with Wagner's words about the Chief, who would become her father-in-law 'He lived to see his grandson graduate from West-Point.'
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Regarding Broken Arrow, I don't know Stuart. I do know Tom Jeffers was a real Indian Agent, and I remember they did the 'wife' thing during the TV series also, so I suspect if not totally accurate, I guess there might be something factual about it.

I saw White Feather so long ago, that I barely remember any of the story or plot at all. I'll watch for it and try to see it on a re-telecast.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************