Harry Potter writer dabbling in politics

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
stuart.uk

Harry Potter writer dabbling in politics

Post by stuart.uk »

I don't now if anyone in the UK knows that the current Labour Goverment are struggling in the polls with leader and Prime Minister Gordon Brown having to watch his back, as a few in his party saying he should stand down.

However, on the eve of The Party Conference, it was announced with perfect timing that J.K Rowling, a close friend of Gordon and his wife Serah has donated a million pounds to the Labour Party. Rowling also attacked the Conseratives, saying that they are favouring married couples over single parents, as she recalls her pre famous days as a single mum, struggling to make ends meet.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Just think of what good work she could do with a million pounds. There's so many just causes in this country. Leave the political donations to big business. She could have given her money to a charity that supports single mums like she was.

I'm glad the Conservatives are promoting marriage. I have nothing against single mums, lots of them do a wonderful job and hav no choice about being a single parent, she's missing the point of the Conservatives agenda, they want to encourage long term stable relationships for tomorrow's children not make or break families.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

JK does give money to charity like the one you mentioned
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I never realised the spend for American political parties was so high. It puts JK Rowling's donation in the shade.

Thanks for details of her charity giving Stuart. It doesn't surprise me that she donates to charity. My feeling is that if she supports the Labour party because of their stance on single mothers surely single mothers would benefit more from her starting a charity specifically for single mums. There are a lot of single mums out there that would love to work but are trapped because of the cost of childcare.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin