The Mad Miss Manton (1938)

Discussion of programming on TCM.
Mr. Arkadin

The Mad Miss Manton (1938)

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Anybody seen this one or have any info? Another new one for me.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Mr. A., what did you think of the movie? Barbara Stanwyck was never lovlier, or more relaxed in a role, don't you think? I'd love to hear your take on it!

Nancy
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
coopsgirl

Post by coopsgirl »

I watched this one when it was on a while back and I really enjoyed it. I'm not really much of a fan of Henry Fonda (he usually comes off to whiny for me) but I love Babs and she was very fun in this one and she and Fonda did make a cute pair.

Overall, I'd say a very cute romantic/screwball comedy definitely worth a watch.
“I never really thought of myself as an actor. But I’d learned to ride on my dad’s ranch and I could do some roping stunts and working as an extra was better than starving as an artist nobody wanted on the West Coast.” - Gary Cooper
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

This is my favorite of all their pairings. I cannot stand Fonda's character
in The Lady Eve, which is actually a much better film, so he ruins it completely for me. I think The Mad Miss Manton is wonderfully loose and totally wacky. I love Barbara's character and I agree, she never looked lovelier. Blooming, really. And for once Fonda had a little bit of personality going on.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

knitwit45 wrote:Mr. A., what did you think of the movie? Barbara Stanwyck was never lovlier, or more relaxed in a role, don't you think? I'd love to hear your take on it!

Nancy
I enjoyed what I saw, unfortunately I forgot to hit the record button as I was watching the Presidential debate last night when it began. I caught it about 30 mins in and thought it was great (sorry I can't say more, but it usually takes me seeing the film more than once to have detailed thoughts). Unfortunately, it's not scheduled to reshow anytime soon, so I'll have to wait on a follow-up viewing.