Col. McCormick spinning in his grave

Films, TV shows, and books of the 'modern' era
ken123

Col. McCormick spinning in his grave

Post by ken123 »

No, not with " his paper ", The Chicago Tribune (aka The World's Greatest Newspaper ) endoring Barack Obama for President ( 1st Democrat in over 150 years ) but because today the Sam Zell owned newpaper filed for banruptcy. :cry:
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The Col. probably believes the British are behind this somehow.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

This is what I was trying to foretell in my post about Ebert the other day. I doubt if most newspapers will be very far behind the Tribune because of the internet, especially since the net is available on telephones, iPods, and all those other cute little hand-held things, not to mention the cordless laptops. As those items get less expensive, who will want to fold and try to read a paper on the train or bus. In fact, soon people will probably be complaining about papers being hazardous and disturbing to other passengers.

If that sounds foolish, look what happened to McDonalds coffee.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Several magazines have gone to on-line only. I think some of the papers will go that way too. I mentioned the other day The Baltimore Sun (part of the Tribune group) is a shell of its former self. I read it on-line now and then but the paper itself looks more like a small town edition then the full big city paper from just two years ago when I actually would get a copy.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

It's probably the same with most major dailies. The weekday NY Times has much more gossip and fashion features than it used to, but it's the Sunday edition that has become a GenXfest, with articles about unsubstantial events, things, and people whose major claim to fame is how much money they spend.

The Times always celebrated the rich and useless, but those rich seem like Mahatma Gandhi compared to the current crop of lightweights they feature. I don't even bother with the Sunday Times any more. Even the crossword puzzle has been dumbed down. I read The Times online during the week, and ignore the Sunday posting, which is essentially a rehash of the past week's articles. And I've switched to British cryptic crosswords (one is actually featured daily in that ghastly Murdoch rag, the NY Post.)