Ginger Rogers - Star of the Month

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

Ginger Rogers - Star of the Month

Post by mrsl »

Thank you TCM for your Star of the Month (SOTM). I'm afraid I'm one of those people who thought Ginger started her career with Fred. Although I've watched TCM on her birthdays, and SOTM in other years, I never paid a lot of attention to any of the films that did not feature her with Fred. I regret it now. To think of all the fun I've missed. My DVR has been getting a real workout today and yesterday, as well as during the night. I copy, watch, and then erase because I've copied about 15 movies over the past 24 hours. I love all the comedies she made with George Brent, and so many others. Charles Coburn and Adolph Menjou seemed to be good foils for her. She was also in a couple of originals that I've only seen the remakes of, like Bachelor Mother, Gay Divorcee, and Rafter Romance (actually did see Rafter the night they showed those lost and found movies a couple of years ago). She surprised me with Perfect Strangers, because I'm not used to her in that type of role, but I guess because of the code, the ending brought her back to her usual personality (movie-wise). I think my favorite Ginger role will always be that of Jo in Tender Comrade, and a close second in Stage Door, but whatever she does, I'm finding I like her in all of it.

Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: Ginger Rogers - Star of the Month

Post by movieman1957 »

"Bachelor Mother" and "Vivacious Lady" have been long time non-Fred movies. I can see why that no matter how well Fred and her worked together she would hate to be classified as his partner alone.

In fact without each other she seemed more active and certainly had a broader range of work.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
pvitari

Post by pvitari »

Apart from being a wonderful dancer, Ginger was a terrific *actress.* She could hold her own with anybody and not just on the dance floor.

Some of my Ginger (sans Fred) favorites:

42nd Street
Gold Diggers of 1933
Stage Door
Change of Heart
Vivacious Lady
Bachelor Mother
Roxie Hart
Monkey Business
Cinderella (the 1965 version with Lesley Ann Warren -- that's the one I grew up on; I didn't see the original Julie Andrews one until much later)

and of course that Billy Wilder classic, The Major and the Minor.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, I forgot she was in Cinderella... so beautifully regal... not a huge role but memorable for her grace.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Another worth mentioning - 5th Avenue Girl. Of course, in my fave 30s comedy genre. It was shown Thurs, along with Having Wonderful Time (which is worth it just for D Fairbanks, Jr.). I recorded recorded In Person with George Brent but haven't watched it yet.

My favorites of hers are the Fred & Gingers, but also love the other 30s comedies: Rafter Romance has become an absolute favorite and 42nd Street.