CARRY ON !!!

Discussion of programming on TCM.
mrsl

CARRY ON !!!

Post by mrsl »

I haven't seen all of them, actually only Carry on Nurse, and Carry on Teacher and although there are some aspects I am not at all crazy about, I do realize the English matured in their movies much earlier than we did. We are just now getting to where they were back in the 70's. So, those of you who have the monthly magazine start setting up your DVR, VCR, or whatever in order to make sure you see these movies. I don't believe you'll be sorry you did so because they really are funny.

Please add your comments here when you see them. Thanks.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
CineMaven

Re: CARRY ON !!!

Post by CineMaven »

Oh my...I saw these on the schedule. I haven't seen them in a good thirty years...and am looking forward to each and every one of them. Hey TCM...where is "Carry On Cleo"???
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Being a Brit these are what I grew up on. A rainy weekend was made OK but a Carry On film on the TV. They are very juvenile in content are completely unPC but are delightful. My absolute favorite is Carry On Camping, it's so British, so many of us put ourselves through these kind of holidays, another glimpse of how the Brits used to holiday is Carry on Abroad made at a time when holidays to Spain were becoming fashionable. Of course we didn't go on holiday with Sid James and Kenneth Williams but I'd have loved to have found Sid James on our dinner table on our holidays, his laugh is guaranteed to set me off, his sly wink, usually at the expense of Hattie Jacques and Joan Sims. The best and hubby and I are huge fans of and in this order

Carry on Camping
Carry on Abroad
Carry on At Your Convenience
Carry on Loving
Carry on Screaming
Carry on Cleo
Carry on Nurse
Carry on up the Khyber

My favorite stars

Sid James
Joan Sims
Hattie Jacques
Kenneth Williams
Bernard Breslaw
Charles Hawtrey
Terry Scott
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Jezebel38

Post by Jezebel38 »

Crickey! I made it through all six hours of the Carry On marathon last night, with plenty of giggles and sniggers along the way. Some 25-30 years ago, I had seen some on TV back then and thought they were pretty stupid – with the exception of Carry On Cleo, which I distinctly recall as very funny. This time around I enjoyed them quite a bit; I think watching all the Britcoms on PBS over the past decades has conditioned me to this type of humor (and most of the accents). Of the titles shown last night, I liked Teacher and Constable the best, followed by Sergeant and Nurse. Aside from a few zingers in Nurse (what a fuss over such a small thing) I didn’t get some of the humor which seemed to be aimed at the medical system there. I sure enjoyed the gang though, especially Kenneth Williams, Joan Sims and Charles Hawtrey (looking just fab in drag). I hope TCM continues to air more in the series.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I had no idea there were so many of these films. Were the four shown Friday the first in the series?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"Crickey! I made it through all six hours of the Carry On marathon last night, with plenty of giggles and sniggers along the way. Some 25-30 years ago..." - JEZEBEL38.

Lucky you! I forgot they were coming on...and came home around 11:00pm only to see "Carry On Teacher." I hate when I do that. I enjoyed seeing them as a kid...late late at night, I want to say on NYC's Channel 4, NBC. I found them all funny as all get out.

"Being a Brit these are what I grew up on. A rainy weekend was made OK but a Carry On film on the TV. They are very juvenile in content are completely unPC but are delightful. My absolute favorite is Carry On Camping..." - CHARLIECHAPLINFAN.

I loved "CARRY ON CLEO" and provide a clip below. I've got to see it in its entirety again. The little that I saw Friday night made me Laugh OutLoud:

"I had no idea there were so many of these films. Were the four shown Friday the first in the series?" - RED RIVER.

This is what I got from IMDB:

Carry On Sergeant (1958)
Carry On Nurse (1959)
Carry On Teacher (1959)
Carry On Constable' (1960)
Carry On Regardless (1961)
Carry On Cruising (1962)
Carry On Cabby (1963)
Carry On Jack (1963)
Carry On Cleo (1964)
Carry On Spying (1964)
Carry On Screaming! (1966)
Carry On Pimpernel (1966)
Carry On Cowboy (1966)
Carry On Doctor (1967)
Carry On In the Legion (1967)
Carry On Camping (1969)
Carry On Again Doctor (1969)

There are more from the 70's...but naaaaaah!

charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Some of the fashions in the 1970s ones are hilarious. I was well versed in the Carry On's even as a child and I could honestly say that I followed them completely without picking up on any of the rudeness, discovering them again as a young adult was another experience, jokes appeared where I hadn't seen them before. I certainly didn't understand that Kenneth Williams and Charles Hawtrey were anything other than odd or fussy, the point would be laboured differently today.

I wonder what the women's libbers thought of these movies, I bet they were appalled.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

As a bra-burning, baby-booming, women's libber ( or if not a card-carrying member and ...certainly OF that generation) I laughed my butt off at these!!! The bra part of it all...well...that was of no consequence in my physical development back in '69. :oops: